Banaras, A Mystic Love Story

Banaras is not a destination its a journey of our lives. If you go to watch this movie for a ready-made solution or only to "kill" two hours, you may get disappointed. Banaras is aimed to create a thirst for something one is generally uncomfortable to explore.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fans of Banaras

On Friday evening, I was to arrive in Virginia at my friend Vijay’s place and everything looked good until the cancellation of my flight from Chicago. I arrived Princeton at 2 am in the vee hours of Saturday. My friend and colleague Ashwini and his wife Archana very kindly drove me to be in time for the Saturday get together.

As we were reaching the destination, I was overwhelmed with the beauty of nature.

It’s autumn in US.

The leaves are gracefully turning yellow and separating from the trees reluctantly. Only a few hours back they were part of the tree. They were identified by the tree. Now they are on their own. The life is gone. The identity has changed. They are, now, the fallen leaves, waiting to be collected and burnt. Yet they look serene. There is certain grace to their extinction (?). As one of my friend states, “Wish I would depart with such grace” . Some times, I feel they are yet alive, for I hear them whispering to each other.

They remind me of Soham. Giving life for someone you love…going away so gracefully. No fuss. a simple act of submission to the iminent.

I am to meet PC Singh after 36 years. He used to be 3 years senior to us. He used to teach me thermodynamics. Vijai is a very warm and sincere friend. We used to be class mates and room mates. When I look at Vijai, I feel as if nothing has changed. I, yet feel like a novice, amateurish and vulnerable. Vijai is someone always in control. When you are in such presence, you simply let go.

I entered his beautiful house situated among the woods of Virginia on the tunes of Om namah shivay. He has some of the best selection of Hindi songs. As always his entire arrangement was flawless.



Standing to my right are Vijai and Indu,
surrounded by other guests.




It was heartening to meet a no of families who had assembled.

As the evening progressed and they learnt more and more about making of Banaras and my experience of making the movie, their thirst for knowing more kept increasing.

The foremost questions were about Babaji and Soham: How did I conceive the character? Did I know someone like Babaji? What did I think of Ashmit Patel? All thought Ashmit to be sweet and handsome. All thought that Urmilla was outstanding. Many thought her portrayal of Shwetambari was perfect and the role was her career best.





A few ladies specially quoted the dialogue of Shwetambari when she talks to her dying father telling him the reason for her moving away from Banaras.(…I went away not because I hated you but because I couldn’t see the guilt on your face….)

They all wanted to know the details of the locations and their significance. Once they learnt their significance, their impression about movie went up even higher. Many said that they would see the movie again.

The significant thing was that everyone a no of families were planning to include Banaras in their next itinerary while visiting India.

There was an all round praise for the songs.

They all wanted to know the plans for the next movie.

It was a wonderful experience being in the company of so many who all love Banaras.

Through this column I would like to thank Vijai and Indu for their hospitality and all the people who made my evening so memorable. May God bless them with all the happiness in the world.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what is your next film? I just read that banaras is selected for the film festival in goa!
Congrats.
And will the next have a continuation of shwetambari or something totally new??
I just read that banaras is selected for the film festival in goa!
Congrats.
I suggest you make something more direct, take the vedas and quantum physics, mix them and analyze humans....but shorter and without songs....hard hitting

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Deepti said...

Dear Sir,

Would you be visiting New Jersey or New York too during this trip?

Deepti

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:00:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear deepti,

I am in NJ today. Taking the BA flight to London this evening.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:36:00 PM  
Blogger Deepti said...

It would have been an honor to meet with you Sir. Hopefully you would make another trip soon.
And Congratulations for the official entry of Banaras into the international film festival...!! :)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home